Junior Mechanical Engineer
Join a growing San Francisco engineering consultancy that brings class-leading products to life. We’re stronger together.
Alloy Product Development is focused on the mechanical and electrical engineering development of consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and medical devices. We’re a diverse group of 20+ tinkerers, bikers, foodies, dog lovers, surfers, and diaper changers who love to make beautiful objects that work flawlessly. We take pride in our work, strive to constantly refine our professional skills, and partner with our clients to achieve their goals.
We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our family and help us pursue our vision of “Engineering Great Experiences” for our team, our clients and the end users of our work.
As a Junior Mechanical Engineer at Alloy, you will
- Apply your engineering knowledge to help drive projects from concept to production.
- Face challenging engineering problems and solve them with clever, elegant, and robust solutions.
- Perform mechanical analyses of structures, enclosures, mechanisms, and assemblies.
- Design, assemble, and debug functional prototypes to test and demonstrate your designs.
- Collaborate directly with the Alloy team, clients, ID firms, prototype shops, and manufacturers.
- Streamline final production designs using broad knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Document and communicate your designs to ensure accurate implementation.
- Occasionally travel domestically and internationally to work with clients or manufacturers.
- Grow and develop your skills in a fast-paced learning environment.
In this role, success means
- Clients are impressed with both the pace of your results and quality of deliverables.
- You are focused and productive, supportive of your team, and committed to excellence.
- Communications with clients, manufacturers, ID firms, and coworkers are clear, concise, and timely.
- Final designs further Alloy's reputation as a top-tier engineering firm.
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related studies
- Relevant work experience including mechanical design
- Fluency in PTC Creo or other CAD programs
- Creative problem-solving and 3D visualization skills
- Strong analytical skills, including statics, dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Ability to deliver full 2D documentation including familiarity with GD&T
- Some knowledge of manufacturing processes (molding, die casting, sheet metal, extrusions, finishes, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop prototypes using a variety of processes and hands-on skills to assemble and debug
- Attention to detail, professional demeanor, creativity, efficiency, enthusiasm, and desire to learn
- Collaborative, positive, self-motivated, and enthusiastic attitude
Bonus skills include
- Experience with other CAD packages such as SolidWorks or Unigraphics NX
- FEA (ANSYS preferred)
- Prior consulting experience
- Machine shop experience
Compensation and benefits: Competitive salary, bonus, insurance benefits, 401K and more. Alloy makes an effort to accommodate flexible work schedules whenever practical.
Alloy strives to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone has the support and equal opportunity to succeed. We encourage people of all backgrounds, physical abilities, genders, and ethnicities to apply.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Alloy accepts applications on an ongoing basis. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Direct applicants only.