Prototype Shop Manager
Join a growing San Francisco engineering consultancy that brings class-leading products to life. We’re stronger together.
Alloy Product Development is focused on the mechanical and electrical engineering development of consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and medical devices. We’re a diverse group of 20+ tinkerers, bikers, foodies, dog lovers, surfers, and diaper changers who love to make beautiful objects that work flawlessly. We take pride in our work, strive to constantly refine our professional skills, and partner with our clients to achieve their goals.
We’ve developed a versatile, 2500 square foot prototype shop that is core to delivering our vision of “Engineering Great Experiences” for our team, our clients and the end-users. We’re looking for a well-rounded, hands-on shop manager to collaborate with our team, continue expanding our capabilities and run a well-organized, safe shop.
As the Prototype Shop Manager at Alloy, you will:
- Own the ins and outs of the shop, be the go-to person for all things shop-related
- Maintain, organize, and improve shop equipment and tools; purchase and maintain inventory
- Assist the engineers in the use of the shop equipment and with prototype builds
- Review CAD models and design intent with engineers to provide DFM feedback
- Fabricate parts using the CNC mill, manual lathe, laser cutter, 3D printers, mini injection molder and other tools
- Assist in outsourcing fabrication of parts that cannot be made in-house to third party services
- Execute, develop and document standards for running a clean, safe, and efficient shop
- Maintain OSHA safety standards and hazardous waste compliance (EPA, local)
- Be flexible with your schedule to help out with tight deadlines
In this role, success means:
- Clients and teammates are impressed with both the pace of your results and quality of deliverables
- Our shop continues to evolve with improved equipment and capabilities that match our project needs
- Our team understands their part in operating a safe and clean shop
- Approximately half of your hours are billable for client work
- 5+ years industry experience in shops/labs, including management and maintenance responsibilities
- Degree from a technical or engineering program preferred
- Highly proficient in in a broad range of rapid prototyping processes including machining, 3D printing and more
- Some knowledge of manufacturing processes (molding, die casting, sheet metal, extrusions, finishes, etc.)
- Ability to work well with small parts and tight tolerances
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience with 2D documentation
- Knowledge of OSHA safety standards
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, learn quickly and work in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail, collaborative, self-motivated, and enthusiastic attitude
- Ability to teach team members additional shop skills and safety procedures
Bonus skills include:
- Prior consulting experience
- Basic 3D CAD modeling, preferably Creo (formerly Pro/Engineer)
- Ability to design and fabricate custom test fixtures
- Experience acquiring data for drop, cycle, ingress, impact, and force-deflection tests
- Mechatronics/robotics/electronics experience
Compensation and benefits: Competitive salary, bonus, insurance benefits, 401(k), and more. Alloy makes an effort to accommodate flexible work schedules whenever practical.
Alloy strives to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone has the support and equal opportunity to succeed. We encourage people of all backgrounds, physical abilities, genders, and ethnicities to apply.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. Direct applicants only.