Senior Mechanical Engineer
Join a growing San Francisco engineering consultancy and bring class-leading products to life.
Alloy Product Development is focused on the engineering development of consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and medical devices. We’re a diverse group of 30 tinkerers, bikers, foodies, dog lovers, dancers, diaper changers, and car nuts who love to make beautiful objects that work flawlessly. We take pride in our work, strive to constantly refine our professional skills, and help our clients achieve their goals.
As a senior ME at Alloy, you will:
o Apply your engineering expertise and tenacity to drive projects from concept to production.
o Face challenging engineering problems and solve them with clever, elegant and robust solutions.
o Perform detailed mechanical analyses of structures, enclosures, mechanisms and assemblies.
o Design, assemble and debug functional prototypes to test and demonstrate your designs.
o Collaborate directly with the Alloy team, clients, ID firms, prototype shops and manufacturers.
o Streamline final production designs using your broad knowledge of manufacturing processes.
o Document and communicate your designs to ensure accurate implementation.
o Lead a team of up to 6 mechanical engineers, to deliver their best work every day.
o Grow and develop your skills in a fast-paced learning environment.
o Follow Alloy standards and practices related to information security.
In this role, success means:
o Clients are impressed with both the pace of your results and quality of deliverables.
o Final designs further Alloy’s reputation as a top-tier engineering firm.
o You and your team are focused & productive, thanks to your leadership, attitude, and commitment to excellence.
o Communications with clients, manufacturers, ID firms, and coworkers are clear, concise, and timely.
o Final products further Alloy’s reputation as a top-tier engineering firm.
o You embody Alloy’s core values (https://alloypd.com/2017/10/alloy-values/)
Some typical qualifications:
– University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related studies
– 5+ years relevant work experience including leading small teams
– Fluency in Creo including top down design methods (master models) and surfacing
– Strong analysis skills including FEA (ANSYS or Mechanica preferred) and statistical tolerance analysis
– Ability to deliver full 2D documentation including familiarity with GD&T
– Detailed knowledge of manufacturing processes (molding, die casting, sheet metal, extrusions, finishes, etc.)
– Ability to occasionally travel to work with clients and manufacturing vendors
– Strong skills in designing and analyzing structures, enclosures, mechanisms and assemblies for production
– Ability to develop prototypes using a variety of processes and hands-on skills to assemble and debug
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Attention to detail, professional demeanor, creativity, efficiency, enthusiasm, and desire to learn
Bonus skills include:
– Experience with other CAD packages such as SolidWorks or Unigraphics NX
– Medical devices
– Prior consulting experience
– Machine shop experience
Compensation: Competitive salary, insurance benefits, 401K, bonus, profit-sharing. Alloy makes an effort to accommodate flexible work schedules whenever practical.
At Alloy we strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone has the support and equal opportunity to succeed. We encourage people of all backgrounds, physical abilities, genders, and ethnicities to apply.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and a portfolio of projects (may include CAD images, drawings, photos of prototypes, and engineering analyses) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alloy accepts applications on an ongoing basis. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. No recruiters.