Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Join a growing San Francisco engineering consultancy that brings class-leading products to life. We’re stronger together.
Alloy Product Development is focused on the mechanical and electrical engineering development of consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and medical devices. We’re a diverse group of 20+ tinkerers, bikers, foodies, dog lovers, surfers, and diaper changers who love to make beautiful objects that work flawlessly. We take pride in our work, strive to constantly refine our professional skills, and partner with our clients to achieve their goals.
We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our family and help us pursue our vision of “Engineering Great Experiences” for our team, our clients and the end users of our work.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Alloy, you will:
- Apply your engineering expertise and tenacity to drive projects from concept to production.
- Face challenging engineering problems and solve them with clever, elegant and robust solutions.
- Perform detailed mechanical analyses of structures, enclosures, mechanisms and assemblies.
- Design, assemble and debug functional prototypes to test and demonstrate your designs.
- Collaborate directly with the Alloy team, clients, ID firms, prototype shops and manufacturers.
- Streamline final production designs using your broad knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Document and communicate your designs to ensure accurate implementation.
- Lead a team of up to 6 mechanical engineers, to deliver their best work every day.
- Grow and develop your skills in a fast-paced learning environment.
In this role, success means:
- Clients are impressed with both the pace of your results and quality of deliverables.
- You are focused and productive, supportive of your team, and committed to excellence.
- Communications with clients, manufacturers, ID firms, and coworkers are clear, concise, and timely.
- Final designs further Alloy’s reputation as a top-tier engineering firm.
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related studies
- 5+ years relevant work experience including leading project teams
- Fluency in PTC Creo or other CAD programs
- Creative problem-solving and 3D visualization skills
- Strong skills in designing structures, enclosures, mechanisms and assemblies for production
- Ability to develop prototypes using a variety of processes and hands-on skills to assemble and debug
- Detailed knowledge of manufacturing processes (molding, die casting, sheet metal, extrusions, finishes, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills, including statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, FEA (ANSYS prefered) and statistical tolerances
- Ability to deliver full 2D documentation including familiarity with GD&T
- Ability to occasionally travel internationally to work with clients and manufacturing vendors (when health guidelines allow).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, professional demeanor, creativity, efficiency, enthusiasm, and desire to learn
- Collaborative, positive, self-motivated, and enthusiastic attitude
Bonus skills include:
- Experience with other CAD packages such as SolidWorks or Unigraphics NX
- Prior consulting experience
- Machine shop experience
Compensation: Competitive salary, bonus, insurance benefits, 401(k), and more. Alloy makes an effort to accommodate flexible work schedules whenever practical.
At Alloy we strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone has the support and equal opportunity to succeed. We encourage people of all backgrounds, physical abilities, genders, and ethnicities to apply.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and portfolio to email@example.com. Alloy accepts applications on an ongoing basis. Alloy is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. No recruiters.