Lead Structures / Dynamics Analyst
Join a growing San Francisco engineering consultancy and bring class-leading products to life.
Alloy Product Development is focused on the mechanical engineering of consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and medical devices. We’re a diverse group of 20+ tinkerers, bikers, foodies, dog lovers, diaper changers, and car nuts who love to make beautiful objects that work flawlessly. We take pride in our work, strive to constantly redefine our professional skills, and help our clients achieve their goals.
As a Lead Structures / Dynamics Analyst at Alloy, you will:
o Need strong mechanical intuition with the ability to quickly provide guidance supported by first order classical methods
o Use judgment to efficiently reduce complex assemblies to appropriate level for detailed FE modeling
o Apply your engineering expertise and tenacity to help drive projects from concept to production.
o Perform detailed structural FEA for static and dynamic loading of parts and assemblies.
o Perform detailed thermal FEA for steady state and dynamic systems.
o Perform mathematical calculations and use free-body diagrams for first order checks of FEA results.
o Test prototypes to correlate real world performance with FEA predictions.
o Make well informed recommendations for design modifications to optimize performance.
o Collaborate directly with clients, ID firms, prototype shops and manufacturers.
o Document and communicate your analysis and test results to ensure clear understanding.
o Wear many hats as part of a small group, helping out with tasks outside of your expertise.
o Grow and develop your skills in a fast-paced learning environment.
In this role, success means:
o Clients and colleagues are impressed with both the pace of your progress and quality of deliverables.
o You share your skills with and learn new ones from your colleagues.
o Communications with clients, manufacturers, ID firms, and coworkers are clear, concise, and timely.
o Your contributions further Alloy’s reputation as a top-tier engineering firm.
– University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or similar
– 5+ years relevant work experience using FEA software for mechanical and thermal analysis
– Fluency in Ansys and/or PTC Mechanica
– Strong mathematical analysis skills of structures, mechanisms, and thermal systems
– Detailed knowledge of common manufacturing material properties (plastics, metals, composites, etc.)
– Critical qualities include attention to detail, professional demeanor, creativity, efficiency, and enthusiasm
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Experience with various prototyping processes and hands-on skills with assembling and debugging prototypes
– Experience with other CAD and FEA packages such as SolidWorks, Unigraphics NX, Cosmos
– Experience with full 2D documentation including familiarity with GD&T
– Prior consulting experience
– Hands-on experience making and assembling physical prototypes
Compensation: Competitive salary, insurance benefits, 401K, bonus, profit-sharing
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and a portfolio of projects (may include CAD images, drawings, photos of prototypes, and engineering analyses) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alloy accepts applications on an ongoing basis. Alloy is an equal opportunity employer. Domestic applicants only. No recruiters.