Lead Tooling and Manufacturing Engineer
Join a growing San Francisco engineering consultancy and bring class-leading products to life.
Alloy Product Development is focused on the mechanical engineering of consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and medical devices. We’re a diverse group of 20+ tinkerers, bikers, foodies, dog lovers, diaper changers, and car nuts who love to make beautiful objects that work flawlessly. We take pride in our work, strive to constantly refine our professional skills, and help our clients achieve their goals.
As a Lead Manufacturing and Tooling Engineer, you will:
o Apply your manufacturing expertise and tenacity to help drive projects from concept to production.
o Face challenging manufacturing problems and solve them with clever, elegant and robust solutions.
o Collaborate with clients and Alloy’s engineers to provide DFM guidance and deliver tool-ready designs.
o Review manufacturers’ tooling designs, first articles, and various builds to assist production ramp.
o Design, assemble, and debug assembly fixture prototypes to test and demonstrate your designs.
o Document and communicate your designs to ensure accurate implementation.
o Research, identify and evaluate domestic manufacturers for our clients.
o Grow and develop your skills in a fast-paced learning environment.
In this role, success means:
o Clients are impressed with both the pace of your progress and quality of deliverables.
o You and your team are focused & productive thanks to your leadership, attitude, and commitment to excellence.
o Communications with clients, manufacturers, ID firms, and coworkers are clear, concise, and timely.
o Final products further Alloy’s reputation as a top-tier engineering firm.
– University degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent
– 8+ years relevant work experience
– Detailed knowledge of part fabrication processes (molding, die casting, sheet metal, extrusions, finishes, etc.)
– Detailed knowledge of advanced assembly processes (thermal bonding, ultrasonic/laser welding, etc.)
– Experience taking multiple high volume products from tooling release to acceptable yield for mass production
– Experience designing precision, high volume injection molding tooling with complex actions
– Strong skills in designing assembly fixtures
– Experience bringing up assembly lines with multiple assembly fixtures and various forms of automation
– Fluency in 3D and 2D CAD, ideally PTC Creo
– Strong understanding of tolerances and GD&T documentation
– Ability to travel to Asia to work with clients and manufacturing vendors
– Critical qualities include attention to detail, professional demeanor, creativity, efficiency, and enthusiasm
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Bonus skills include:
– Experience with other CAD packages such as SolidWorks or Unigraphics NX
– Experience manufacturing PCBAs
– Mandarin or Cantonese language proficiency
– Prior consulting experience
Compensation: Competitive salary, insurance benefits, 401K, bonus, profit-sharing
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and a portfolio of projects (may include CAD images, drawings and photos of projects) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alloy accepts applications on an ongoing basis. Alloy is an equal opportunity employer. Domestic applicants only. No recruiters.